CAGD: Annual Meeting – The Role of the Dental Professional in Treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Orofacial Pain
January 27 @ 6:30 am - 4:00 pm$99 – $300
Where: Marriott Irvine Spectrum
7905 Irvine Center Dr.
Irvine, CA 92618
Speaker: Dr. Mayoor Patel
**Attend live In Person or via Zoom**
6:30am – 7:30am – Registration sign in – James Ballroom Foyer – (required for CE credit)
6:30am – 7:30am – Breakfast & Vendor Exhibits
7:30am – Obstructive Sleep Apnea & Orofacial Pain
CE: 8 Participation for Live Attendance; 8 Lecture for Zoom Attendance
AGD subject code: 200 Orofacial Pain
AGD/ Delta Dental Members: $149.00
Non AGD/ Delta Dental Members: $300.00
AGD/ Delta Dental Members ATTEND VIA ZOOM: $99.00
Non AGD/ Delta Dental Members ATTEND VIA ZOOM: $199.00
This 1-day education program will cover an overview of dental sleep medicine and orofacial pain and discuss TMJ disorders using a case-based method to make the points relevant to clinical practice. More than 18 million Americans are estimated to suffer from sleep apnea—when a person’s airway gets blocked while sleeping. This will often happen because a person is overweight, orofacial deficient, and various other factors, making it more difficult to maintain airway patency.
The most common medical treatment option is the use of a CPAP machine. However, many patients are non-compliant or refuse to use it and do not want to undergo surgery. When this occurs, their best option may be oral appliance patency, which a dentist provides and manages. Wearing an oral appliance, it helps open the airway by pushing the lower jaw forward and is more comfortable than a CPAP machine.
Orofacial pain covers a wide spectrum of symptoms. It can be exhibited in many head and neck areas, with most complications associated with a temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). An essential part of routine dental examinations should be screening for a TMD condition. The gold standard for diagnosing TMD is based on the patient’s history, clinical examination, and imaging when necessary.
The connection between airway issues, bruxism, and TMD (orofacial pain) is no longer a question of ‘if’. Instead, it is a question of proper evaluation and diagnosis by the dental and medical teams. As a dentist, you will often evaluate, refer, and possibly manage these issues impacting a large percentage of the population. And, with a clear relationship, we look to understand that clenching or grinding one’s teeth is a way for the brain to protect itself from suffocation during sleep.
- Learn the prevalence and causative factors of sleep apnea.
- Identify patients with Sleep Disordered Breathing (SDB) in your practice by using a methodical screening protocol.
- Understand the common medical and dental treatment modalities such as CPAP machines, surgeries and the role of dentistry in providing an alternative with oral appliances.
- Understand the fundamental physiological connection between airway issues, bruxism, and TMD (orofacial pain).
- Know how to evaluate a patient by taking a pain history and performing a comprehensive examination – participants will practice on how to complete a TMD exam in the hands-on portion of the course.
- Learn when to refer and when to manage patients with sleep disorders, TMD, bruxism using case examples.
Dr. Mayoor Patel, DDS, MS, D.ABDSM, DABOP, DABCP, DABCDSM, DAIPM, RPSGT, FAAOP, FICCMO, FAACP, FAGD, FPFA
Since graduating from the University of Tennessee with his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree, Dr. Mayoor Patel has been providing his patients with superior dental care.
Through his knowledge in orofacial pain and dental sleep medicine, Dr. Mayoor Patel works with his patients to help them live without pain and discomfort. Dr. Patel has received the following credentials, which allows him to accurately and properly treat TMD, orofacial pain and sleep apnea in his dental office.
Refund and Cancellation:
- Registrations are subject to a $50 non-refundable processing fee.
- Cancellations made by email prior to 01/05/24 will receive a refund less the $50 processing fee.
- Cancellations made after 01/05/24 are completely non-refundable.
- Transfer of a registration to another name will be considered by email request through 01/05/24.
By registering and attending this event you are giving permission to be in a photograph/video of the event unless you ask not to. Click here for the full details of our photo/video policy.
Special AGD group rate of $179/ night available at Marriott Irvine Spectrum
Group Rate at Marriot Irvine Spectrum