AGD Advocacy Commitment on Behalf of the General Dentist
We are watching out for your general private practice
Entities from within and out of the profession have been attempting to place limits on procedures that general dentists were capable of and licensed to perform as well as attempting to place unreasonable burdens on our ability to perform those and other procedures. It was obvious that Advocacy for the AGD had to become a priority.
In light of that, AGD members from across the nation meet in Washington, D.C. on Hill Day and interact with legislators, regulators and lobbyists to discuss and attempt to influence the direction of legislative factors affecting dentistry generally and general dentistry, specifically.
Some of the issues the AGD Advocacy Council on Dental Practice deals with are:
- HIPAA, OSHA and ERISA
- Evidence Based Dentistry: Some definitions are being used by certain carriers to limit or deny benefits to our patients.
- Sedation performed by general dentists
- Mid-level dental providers
- Third Party Issues: Complaints and disagreements from general dentists against some carriers
- Discrimination: By some carriers towards general dentists performing certain procedures
Some of the issues the AGD Advocacy Council on Legislation and Governmental Affairs deals with are:
- Opting out or Opting in Medicare
- Obamacare: a 2.3 percent tax on medical devices contained within the Affordable Care Act which has increased the prices on certain materials, supplies and equipment sold to dental practices.
- Antitrust Exemption afforded to carriers but not to other businesses
- Student Debt Refinancing and Repayment